Monday, October 26, 2015

Felted Acorns

 Oh my goodness. I first saw this adorable project in Cabin Living magazine and I knew I had to make some of my own. I love the colors, I love using natural materials, and I love seeing how cute they look in a little dish in my kitchen. Felted acorns just make me smile. Want to see how easy they are to make?

If you have your own source of wool, this would be a super fun way to use it. If not. like me, you have a couple of options. First, you can purchase wool roving and felt your own wool balls. It's easy. I've made felted alpaca dryer balls before and the process is the same. There are many good tutorials online for this process. Or, if you prefer, you can do what I did and order some felted wool balls online. I found some really pretty colors in just the right size on Etsy. I chose 2cm for this project. Natural colors would be beautiful, but I loved the bright, cheery colors they used in the magazine project so that's what I went with. And, I love how the jewel tones will look great right through Thanksgiving.

Next, for the fun part. Grab a child and go collect acorn caps. The school where my son plays soccer is covered in gorgeous, big, plump acorns. My daughter and I brought bags and loaded up because I have at least a couple other uses in mind for these little beauties. 


Next, simply hot glue the caps onto the felted wool balls with low melt glue and let dry (just five minutes or so). 

Then show off your beautiful, inexpensive and creative fall project! I chose to display mine in a simple dish, but you could also string them on some twine for a sweet little swag or even use them as ornaments on a fall themed tree. So many cute uses for these cute little acorns. Happy fall!


No comments:

Post a Comment